Market OverviewTop News

Turkey issues new arrest warrant for jailed businessman Kavala

2 Mins read
imageWorld10 hours ago (Mar 09, 2020 05:07PM ET)

ISTANBUL (Reuters) – A Turkish court issued a new arrest warrant on Monday against Turkish businessman and philanthropist Osman Kavala, who was re-arrested last month after being acquitted in a separate trial, one of his lawyers told Reuters.

Kavala had been cleared of charges related to nationwide protests in 2013, but was re-arrested the following day, accused of attempting to overthrow the constitutional order in a failed coup in 2016.

On Monday, a second arrest warrant was issued in relation to the coup attempt, this time for espionage.

Court documents seen by Reuters said Kavala had been in contact with a man alleged to have spied for foreign governments.

Kavala denies all the charges. After his re-arrest last month, he said President Tayyip Erdogan had intervened to prevent his release from prison.

“The government should find a different occupation for itself,” Kavala’s lawyer Ilkan Koyuncu said.

The cases against Kavala have been criticized by Turkey’s Western allies and rights activists who say the charges are political.

“#OsmanKavala must be released, not face further fabricated charges that are manifestly unfounded,” Milena Buyum, Turkey campaigner for Amnesty International, said on Twitter.

EUROPEAN COURT RULING

In December, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) said there was insufficient evidence to support the accusation that Kavala had been involved in the abortive coup. That ruling will become final on Tuesday.

Deniz Tolga Aytore, another lawyer for Kavala, was quoted in the court records as saying that the new warrant was aimed at circumventing the implementation of the ECHR ruling.

The independence of Turkey’s judiciary has been hotly debated in recent years. Critics say court rulings are influenced by politicians but Erdogan and his ruling AK Party say the judiciary makes its decisions independently.

Ankara says the coup attempt was carried out by supporters of the U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999. Gulen has denied any involvement.

Since the putsch, authorities have carried out a sustained security crackdown, jailing about 80,000 people, dismissing 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others, and closing some 180 media organizations.

Ankara says the clampdown is necessary in the light of the threat Turkey faces.

Turkey issues new arrest warrant for jailed businessman Kavala

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.

Related posts
Market OverviewTop News

U.S. to back nations whose South China Sea claims China violated

1 Mins read
World7 hours ago (Jul 15, 2020 11:10AM ET) (C) Reuters. FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary of State Pompeo holds press briefing at the…
Market OverviewTop News

Virus spreads though Bolivia's political elite; looms over election

2 Mins read
World7 hours ago (Jul 15, 2020 11:00AM ET) 3/3 (C) Reuters. Outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in La Paz 2/3 By…
Market OverviewTop News

As pandemic worsens, Miami Beach visitors party, residents mostly comply

3 Mins read
3/3 (C) Reuters. The Miami Beach Convention Center, which has become a drive up/walk up COVID testing site 2/3 By Zachary Fagenson…
Get the daily email that makes reading the news actually enjoyable. Stay informed and entertained, for free.
Your information is secure and your privacy is protected. By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Remember that you can opt-out any time, we hate spam too!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *